Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Basement Remodel!

We recently finished our basement and I finally had my sister Ali take all the "after" shots. Here are some before pics...(WARNING: Very Very Scary)



















I swear, that was actually my basement. We literally had to demo to the studs. It was a pretty long, gruesome process, but I can finally say it is almost complete. We still have some art to hang and I am working on refinishing dining chairs, otherwise, here it is:


One of the biggest transformations was the stairs. We decided to refinish the tops of the stairs and paint the rest white. Before, there was different color 70's carpet stapled to the stairs with MOUNDS of dirt under it. It was awful!! For the floor tile, we really wanted to go with a larger tile, so we found a great 18" one from Home Depot



I wanted to create a little spot for our musical instruments. My husband loves playing the piano and has always dreamed of learning electric guitar. For Christmas this year, Santa brought him his first Fender. It really is a good looking piece, so we wanted to have a special spot for it. He already knows Everclear's "Santa Monica" by heart...




We knocked down the bar that was originally in the basement and turned the it into a little dining area. The chandelier was a total bargain from Overstock and looks so elegant. We kept the stainless steel sink, I just love its industrial look, especially in contrast to the chandelier. I owned the round table already and simply painted it in Rustoleum High Gloss Smoke Gray, which comes in a spray paint. I'm currently reupholstering chairs to go with it (will post later).  


We purchased all new windows and could not decide if we should get a new door. We ended up keeping the original door and refinishing it. It turned out great and the color of the wood next to the walls is a great combination. The walls are painted Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray. It is a gray with a lot of green and blue undertones. 







I'm still playing around with the layout of the entertainment area. My husband bought a HUGE 3D television on Black Friday (...Black Friday, something that rhymes with Friday). It was really hard to find an entertainment set for underneath that fit the space. I finally found two dressers from Craig's List that work perfectly. The blue ikat chair is from Target and I think I am going to buy one more for the space. I got the coffee table for free from Craig's List. The sofa was a hand-me-down from my father and step-mother and the pillows were from One Kings Lane. The tufted blue leather chair belong to my husband's grandparents. It is a beautiful piece of furniture that ended up inspiring a lot of the color scheme I used. My sister is living with us this summer and has been using the basement as her bedroom so we have her full size bed. Once she moves out, we want to keep a bed down there so the room can double up as a guest room. The herringbone duvet on the bed is from Urban Outfitters and the mirrors above the bed were also a Craig's List find. 




The laundry room has become of my favorite rooms in the house. The washer and dryer are from Home Depot and are monsters. I think I eventually want to build pedestals for them like this. The utility sink has been a blessing and the faucet is from Overstock. The walls are painted Sherwin Williams Coppen Blue. 




The bathroom was a little bit of a headache for my contractor. I had a pretty specific idea in mind and a very small budget. I originally ordered a different console sink and completely misread the dimensions. It ended up being way too big, so we had to find a smaller sink. We finally picked out a simple pedestal sink, faucet, and toilet from Home Depot. The marble floor tile and the white subway tile are from Home Depot as well. The photographs do not even do the tile justice, it is GORGEOUS. The exposed shower faucet took a ton of work to put in, but was totally worth it. The shower size is a irregularly large, so my contractor and I had a pretty difficult time finding glass doors that fit. Everything came together in the end though and looks absolutely breathtaking. Somehow, my contractor dealt with my craziness, although I'm sure there were times he wanted to bury me behind the drywall. His crew did an amazing amazing job and we could not be happier with it!! 

-Meghan

12 comments:

  1. meggg!!! wanna help me update my house?!?!!? xoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m really like it! Very, very dgdeeac good!
    basement remodeling va

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing nice ideas of basement remodeling. I like your post and helps those who thinking to remodel their basement.

    Virginia general contractors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basement should be nice as this is wonderful place for having some relax and fun. I recently buy a home and my Virginia Basement require some renovation and i am thinking for having theatre room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey nice post with great ideas not only content wise but also with great images and I loved the "keep calm and carry on" ones...!!!
    Thanks for sharing & great basement finishing work...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post i like your blog.
    Yes, without any doubt Basement is major selling point when it comes to selling a house. You have shared some good ideas to make them look perfect and there are companies that can help with Basement contractor in Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty amazing on the difference in the before and after pictures. With a little hard work, you can change pretty much any room to make it what you want. For something like that, I would have to get the help of someone. I'm not that skilled when it comes to DIY things. http://psames.com/en/ames_construction__remodeling/basement_finishing/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work i like it, Thanks for sharing this useful information.

    Bathroom Remodeling Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Blog! I certainly like the layout and the theme. The information is also excellent and I look forward to coming back again later on.
    Basement Remodeling Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi mom i found ur blog looking through ur name on google at school
    -Christian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Blog! Thanks for sharing such valuable information.
    Do you want to design a new entertainment area? Basement renovations offer a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a new space in your home.

    ReplyDelete