Monday, July 23, 2012

Upstairs Bath

After we moved into our house, one of our first projects was the upstairs bathroom. It was gross. It had a Pepto-bismol pink sink, toilet, and bathtub. And, they had painted the walls a slightly lighter Pepto-bismol color. The tile, a shiny black, was chipped and and outdated. There was even a sink sprayer attached to the tub faucet!!! It was a mess...I mean, just look at the before pics:






We knew we had to tackle the bathroom immediately, I was 7 months pregnant and refused to use it in its current shape. So, we had several contractors come to look at it, all quoting us over $10,000 to fix it up!! Ten G's.....ya right! I did some research, and found Miracle Method. A lot of families in the DC metro area recommended them, so I decided to give them a try. Instead of removing the tile, they use a special high chemical spray paint to refinish existing tile, bathtub, sinks, etc. They gave us a quote for just under $1,700 to refinish the existing tub and all wall/shower tile. We decided to replace the floor tile, sink, and toilet ourselves (and by ourselves, I mean my husband). The refinishing was so easy, they came on a Monday morning and we were able to start using the bathroom by Wednesday evening. Note: I did have to leave the house during the spray and stayed out for 24 hours, but I was being extra cautious since I was pregnant.

Over the next 8 weeks, my husband removed all the existing floor tile, lay new tile, and installed a new mirror, sink, and toilet (everything was purchased from Home Depot). I was SERIOUSLY impressed with his work, considering he barely knew how to hammer a nail in the wall properly. He literally went on Amazon and ordered a bunch of Home Improvement books, studied them, and YouTubed the process as he went. We went with a tan paint color, Benjamin Moore - Elephant Tusk. The total cost of the entire remodel ended up being around $2,500, saving us over $7,000 for the original quote. There are some little details we need to finish, but overall it ended up absolutely lovely. See for yourself:











-Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment