Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sophisticated. Functional. Comfortable.

I'm back! Sorry to be gone so long...we were on vacation in Chatham, Massachusetts last week.




We had a wonderful time, but came home to a heat wave and NO power for THREE days. No computer, no cable, no air conditioner. It was a hot mess, we ended up living in our newly renovated basement, drinking lukewarm water and eating every meal at a restaurant. Being confined to the basement, really made me thankful that the space was so accommodating for all of us (my 22 year old sister, who is living with us this summer, my four year old boy, 9 month old daughter, 2 year old chocolate lab, my thirty-something husband and myself). I have to admit, I gave myself a little fist-pump for a job well done. (Basement post with pictures to come soon....)

A lot of times when people see my son's room for the first time, they are a little shocked that it belongs to a four-year old boy. I normally get the reaction "This is a kid's room?" I kind of have grown to hate that term: kid's room. I sorta hate all rooms that insinuate a single use: man cave, formal living room, craft room, etc....




(these photographs were taken some time ago, there has been quite a few changes)


Maybe it is because I grew up in a house with a ton of children (I am the oldest of eight) or maybe it is because my own family of four plus a dog lived in a 700 square foot condo for four years, but whatever it is, I truly believe every room should have multiple functions and every member of the family (including the dog) should feel completely comfortable in it. I remember as a child, regularly setting up shop on my bathroom floor to finish my homework. Maybe that is a little extreme, combining a study and a bathroom...but functional none the less.

Image via Pinterest

I get a lot of questions about my decor style, to be honest I have had a hard time pinning it down myself. There are aspects of several styles that I am drawn to: mid-century, Asian, eclectic, Hollywood glamour, shabby-chic, modern, traditional, French country, etc...but there are three underlying things that that I must have in any design: Sophistication, Comfort, and Function. I think every room, whether it be a nursery, study, kitchen, or walk-in closet, should always encompass these three things above all else. My favorite rooms are always the ones that make everyone feel cozy.


























Images via Pinterest

Don't get me wrong, I dream of the day when I can have my own gorgeous dressing room, but I may need to have something like this in there for my daughter....

Images via Pinterest

-Meghan




No comments:

Post a Comment